Have you ever been behind a traffic light waiting for a green and an empty lane gets a green or have you waited while a previously occupied lane still has a green even though it’s now empty.
Well that happened to me too many times during my internship at Sunnet Systems (many moons ago) so I started thinking of ways to prevent that. I christened it Intelligent traffic control with fuzzy logic.
- Induction loop(IL): These are embedded in the road surface. They note the presence off vehicles, their number and their speed. They are placed at the
- Directional RFID Readers: This detects the presence of vehicles that should be given priority at intersections. These are placed at the approach and departure parts of the intersection.
- Traffic lights: They display the signal to guide the road users.
- Microprocessors: These carry out the processing using input from the sensors and readers and instruct the traffic lights.
- Rain Sensors(RS): These detect the presence of rainfall.
How they come together
- Inductive loop (IL) sensor 1 detects a vehicle and IL 2 its approach speed. The space between 1-2(plenty) and 2-3(few) refers to quantity rating IL sensors. The length of the green light is dependent on how many vehicles and the quantity rating the approach has.
- IL 4 registers that a vehicle has crossed the intersection, while 5 and 6 are quantity rating IL sensors.
- If there is no vehicle detected, that approach is ignored.
- If there is rainfall, the length of the amber light is increased for safety
- If a vehicle is a priority vehicle (emergency services et al), the directional RFID approach reader picks it up and schedules the approach to ensure the vehicle gets through as fast as possible
Functions of the system
- Note the presence of vehicles and give a green light only if vehicles are present at the approach
- Note the presence of space at the departure of the intersection and assign green light only when there is space there.
- Detect the presence of vehicles that should be given priority e.g. ambulances and fire trucks and optimizes traffic for them.
- Detects the presence of rainfall land adjusts the lights appropriately (Longer amber lights, No green for another lane if vehicle speed towards intersection is greater than 60KPH.
I made a Demo for it. It’s available here